The Senior Network Engineer staff is responsible for providing advanced technical support to custom infrastructure designed to deliver network and security services to US Federal customers. This engineer will be part of the Advanced Technical Support group and will focus on the network side of the infrastructure addressing service incidents, changes, code upgrades, patching, device hardening and roll-out of technology refresh. It is a hands-on position that requires knowledge of implementation, operation and troubleshooting of routing and services on networking devices.
This engineer will work closely with the Security, Network Operations Center and Engineering teams serving as escalation point for complex incident and change management related to networking.
Change management responsibilities include reviewing requirements, designing, documenting and implementing change in accordance with Verizon and customer standards. Incidents are defined as outages or service degradations that will be addressed and resolved by following pre-defined processes and procedures. This network engineer role will also develop standard operating procedures and will maintain overall documentation of live environment.
This role requires a solid understanding of networking and security technologies. This engineer is expected to work as a member of an integrated network and security team; be able to communicate effectively and intelligently via phone, email or ticket escalations. This role is customer focused.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Incident and change management in a custom infrastructure delivering network and security services
- Design, engineer, document and implement changes in routers
- Escalation point for networking incidents or complex changes
- Training of peers, briefing customers and other Verizon organizations outside Operations
- Planning and overseeing tuning of the environment, technology insertion, code upgrades, audits and response to POA&Ms
- Participation in On-call support rotation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Engineering / Information Security or equivalent experience.
- Six or more years of relevant experience.
- Experience with NOC or customer service environment working on advanced networking services.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting BGP and other IP routing protocols, as well as VLANs and switching technologies.
- Experience on UNIX/Linux operating system, particularly scripting for automation.
- Knowledge of information security technologies.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Five or more years of hands-on experience on NOC or customer service environment working on advanced networking services.
- Solid hands-on experience with Cisco routers; Juniper acceptable
- Strong communication skills and ability to engage with customers to understand their requirements
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to identify and communicate gaps in processes
- Proven ability to excel in high pressure environments
- Demonstrated ability to work and participate within a team environment.
- ITIL Foundation training or certification
- At least one of the following certifications: CCNA, CCNP or CCIE.
*This position requires the ability to obtain a government issued security clearance; an active clearance is highly desirable*
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6442290-senior-network-engineer